Paging Rosie: Mom’s Guide to Makeup
Okay, so let me preface this by saying I am by no means a make-up aficionado. I am nowhere near to mastering the art of the smokey eye, nor the application of a sleek black eyeliner line without a little wibble-wobble. I can’t say I have a fab excuse for these shortfalls, except for the fact that the countless hours I have spent in the make-up chair have not consisted of me quizzing the make-up artists but instead usually involve me having my head buried deep into a blackberry (annoying I am sure for anyone trying to curl my eyelashes…a torture device if ever I saw one, by the way).
My biggest claim to fame in the makeup department is that I am still the gal that has just about managed to figure out how to get her face together in the morning for an interview while keeping my boys entertained at the same time. And that, my lovelies, seems like a pretty amazing achievement to me! This usually happens with baby Wells in a baby carrier and JR standing on the toilet seat helping me (well, kind of helping me) apply the make-up!
To more fully paint the picture, let me tell you that I am also the gal that still has a case full of fantastic make-up accoutrements, including various shades of eye shadow and body shimmer (even glitter…admit it, you all had some) that I bought in the months leading up to my wedding thinking that somehow the pressure of the eminent day would force me to figure out how the hell to apply it all. Of course, I copped out at the last minute and hired a professional! But let’s face it, there is not a make-up artist on my door step every day (oh how glamorous that would be) and thus I have been forced to develop a system. And it’s working and so I’m sticking with it.
So, in the interest of helping all moms get out the door looking fab, I thought I’d share with you the 11 pieces of make-up that I cannot live without in the hopes that maybe it makes your morning routine a tad less stressful and your day that bit more glam! I’m afraid you won’t find glitter on this list anymore because I am trying to leave the Ibiza Club look behind in the 90s and going for something a little more elegant these days!
- Lancôme eyebrow pencil – worth the splurge to get the right color otherwise I look like I have caterpillars taking naps above my lashes.
- Mac Studio Fix Lash Mascara – two coats of this stuff and you’re golden.
- Clarins Baume Beaute Eclair – leaves a lovely healthy glow on those cheeks and great to apply throughout the day so you look refreshed even on 2 hours of sleep.
- Aquafor – nothing beats this for dry and chapped lips. Great to apply and let soak in before you paint on that lipstick or gloss.
- Yves Saint Laurent Radiant Touch – Dibble dabble this on any under eye rings or blemishes.
- Frost Angel MAC Lipstick for an everyday finished look
- Whirl Lip Pencil – we’re not talking serious lip liner here, just a little something to fill them out a little
- Tangerine, Coral or Red lipstick for fun – lightly apply for a little pick me up…a little goes a long way this summer.
- Supply of make-up brushes for your wee ones to play with while you attempt to apply
- Eyebrow brush – keep those hedges under control…perfect make-up with crazy eyebrows just doesn’t work.
- Q-tips – don’t go anywhere without them!
I would love to know what products make you feel more glam! Now what to do with that glitter….