Mommy Maven: Things to Do While Pumping
As any nursing/pumping mother can attest, the sheer amount of time that one spends attached to a breast pump in the early months of a baby’s life is simply astronomical.
Since spare time is just not something I have oodles of, I’m always looking for ways to maximize every minute. Pumping for my 4th child has been incredibly different from pumping for my first. With the first, I would pump in the office, often in tears wondering how long I could keep this going, feeling terrible that I didn’t have more
(1) Wear this. I honestly can’t believe I didn’t use this miracle the first time around. Having both hands free has been a game-changer! Add to this the pump battery pack and you can literally dance around while you pump (perfect moment for a little bit of the “Frozen” sound track perhaps?!)maternity leave. With the fourth, I still hate that I can’t take more maternity leave but I have accepted that this is my life and I have to make it work so I’ve found ways to make pumping everything from a mini spa (hello, hands-free pumping bra and giving myself a facial) to a fabulous time to blog. So here are a few fun tricks and tips that can make your time hooked up to the ol’ pump a bit more enjoyable and before you know it those bottles will be full! Here are my favorite things to do while pumping:
(2) Snack. I know it’s such a cliché, but I honestly find myself forgetting to eat when I’m out and about dealing with children and work. If I can remember to keep healthy snacks and lots of water near my pump, I find that the downtime helps me remember that I actually need to drink water and eat something better than leftovers on my kids’ plates to keep everything going. Imagine this, tasting your favorite pieces of dark chocolate while you sip Pellegrino – yes, your own pumping heaven! And htat is totally achievable! Shocking!
(3) Sleep. OK, this one is completely wishful thinking! But if you’ve managed to master it, PLEASE let me know your magical secret. I almost did once while pumping in a lavish nursing chair but woke up with milk spilling over the bottles…awkward! 😉
(4) Exercise my rapping/singing abilities. Am I the only one who has a pump that sounds like it’s talking? Or, rather, repeating the same odd phrase over and over and over again? Since that can make me go mad, I like to use the pump rhythm to compose raps and songs that I sing to the baby. (Let’s hope I don’t have any neighbors overhearing my tunes, or they might think I’m insane!!).
(5) Complete the baby book and thank-you notes. If the supplies are right by my pumping station, it’s just the prompt I need to cross off those piddly little things that are so important but just never seem to get done.
(6) Join Instagram but refrain from posting lots of selfies with your pump…or don’t! I might post one later today.
(7) Do hair and make-up. I actually have better make-up than ever when I’m pumping because I actually take that time to concentrate on it rather than attempting to do it as I’m flipping pancakes and filling everyone’s lunch box.
(8) Just reflect on these few moments alone, take deep breaths and use it for some much needed me time.
(9) Shop – but don’t go too crazy. It’s very easy to rack up a credit card bill online shopping while you pump but it is nice to treat yourself considering all be hard work you are doing hooked up to that pump.
(10) Clean out the old DVR. Nothing makes pumping fly like a few scenes from the latest Real Housewives or Downton Abbey!
Now that I’ve listed all of these, I’m actually thinking this pumping thing is giving me a lot of time to get things done that I never get done otherwise! Total upside! What’s your favorite thing to do while pumping?